09.20.2007 - Police win 'Best Live Return' award at 2007 Vodafone Live Music Awards...
Congratulations to The Police who won the "Best Live Return" award last night at the 2007 Vodafone Live Music Awards at Brompton Hall in London. XFM reported:
The inaugural Vodafone Live Music Awards took place tonight (September 19) at Brompton Hall, London, with Arctic Monkeys, Gossip, Klaxons and Muse all taking home prizes.
Tonight (September 19) Earls Court's Brompton Hall venue saw a stack of awards being handed out to the very finest live acts in the country... and Mika.
After opening the event with a performance of their number one single 'Away From Here', The Enemy were pipped to the post for the Xfm Live Breakthrough Act by Mercury Awards winners Klaxons.
Elsewhere Arctic Monkeys picked up the coveted Best Live Act award, beating Kaiser Chiefs, Kasabian and Muse to scoop the prize.
Alongside other winners Muse, The Killers, Gossip and Kylie, the unique The Best Tour Roadie accolade - which last year went to Primal Scream's legendary drum tech, fixer and general trouble-shooter Fatty - was won by James' roadie Geoff Buckley, apparently no relation to the actual Jeff Buckley.
And finally, Iggy Pop was honoured with the Freddie Mercury Lifetime Achievement in Live Music Award whilst The Police walked away with the Best Live Return accolade.
None of the acts - including Calvin Harris, Stereophonics, Kate Nash and Athlete - who played at the awards walked away with a single prize, except for CSS' Lovefoxxx who picked up a gong for boyfriend Simon Taylor's band Klaxons. All together now "aaaaaaaw".
The full list of winners was:
- Vodafone Live Act: Arctic Monkeys
- International Live Act: The Killers
- Best Live Female: Amy Winehouse
- Best Live Male: Mika
- Tour of the Year: Muse
- Vodafone Live Impact in 2007: Gossip
- The Freddie Mercury Lifetime Achievement in Live Music: Iggy Pop
- Best Live Return: The Police
- Best Show Production: Kylie
- Best Tour Roadie: Geoff Buckley (James)
- Best Live Music DVD: Oasis
- Best Live Music Venue: Wembley Stadium
- Xfm Live Breakthrough Act: Klaxons
- C4 Festival of the Year 2007: Glastonbury
- Kerrang! Live Unsigned Act: The Flaming Monkeys